Quiet Riot drummer Frankie Banali has lost his battle with cancer.

The 68-year-old rocker was diagnosed with stage four pancreatic cancer in April, 2019 and he went public with his health battle months later.

A statement from his family reveals Frankie “put up an inspiringly brave and courageous 16-month battle to the end and continued playing live as long as he could.”

“Standard chemotherapy stopped working, and a series of strokes made the continuation on a clinical trial impossible. He ultimately lost the fight at 7.18pm on Aug 20 in Los Angeles surrounded by his wife and daughter,” the statement continues.

Born in New York in 1951, Banali moved to Los Angeles in the mid-1970s and joined New Steppenwolf before teaming up with Quiet Riot singer Kevin DuBrow in 1979.

Dubrow had disbanded Quiet Riot after guitarist Randy Rhoads and Rudy Sarzo quit to join Ozzy Osbourne, but he resurrected the group with Banali, bassist Chuck Wright, and guitarist Carlos Cavazo in 1982.

DuBrow was fired in 1987, and Quiet Riot released one more album with Paul Shortino on vocals before breaking up in 1989.

Banali moved on to work with W.A.S.P., Faster Pussycat, and Heavy Bones before reteaming with DuBrow and Cavazo in a reformed Quiet Riot, taking on the role of the band’s manager in 1993. They broke up again in 2003 and Banali and DuBrow regrouped the following year with guitarist Alex Grossi and original bass player Wright.

Following DuBrow’s death in late 2007, Banali disbanded Quiet Riot, but returned with Wright and singer Mark Huff after speaking with his late frontman’s family members.

The carousel of bandmates continued with James Durbin and Jizzy Pearl stepping in as vocalists.

The 2015 documentary, Quiet Riot: Well Now You’re Here, There’s No Way Back, chronicled the band’s crazy history. It was directed by Regina Russell, who wed Banali months after the film’s release.

Recuperating after suffering a stroke during his latest hospital stay this summer, Banali assured fans he was on the mend a week ago, taking to Facebook and writing: “Update: I spent the last three weeks in the hospital. Home now. Had two blood transfusions. I also had a stroke while there. I am rehabbing at home. Thank you for your concern and well wishes.”

Source link

Leave a Reply